Sunday, June 16, 2013

WHAT'S ON MY EASEL: Working with Pan Pastels

Phase 1: Preliminary Block-in
I've not worked with pastels for years. In fact, I gave away all but a dozen or so of my sticks. I didn't like the constant mess of pastel dust in my studio. But I caved when I saw a display of Pan Pastels at my local art supply store. "Highly pigmented, ultra soft, low dust." 

A couple of weeks after I bought a half dozen colors, I saw a photo of a friend's daughter.  This little charmer with her dandelions begged for the softness that a pastel painting so easily brings to a child's portrait. Here's the first go-round. I'll post subsequent pics (good, bad, and indifferent) and include what I've learned about working with this medium.

And what have I learned so far? Glad you asked. Working with Pan Pastels isn't unlike working with a palette knife. Unlike stick pastels, Pan Pastels allow me to blend colors.There is indeed a lot less dust. Details are impossible...but that's easily fixed with pastel pencils. Details are impossible...and that keeps me from getting too precious. (I'm known for counting the number of eyelashes on a model; a bit too obsessive, you say? Who, me???)

No comments: