Thursday, June 20, 2013


I'd read on the Pan Pastels web site
End of experiment and
into the "what I learned" folder
that brushing a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water would fix the pastels, thus allowing me to continue adding to the painting. I was excited about how well this worked, but sure enough, my suspicions that I'd chosen far too fragile a paper were proven correct. I expected the paper to buckle but I knew I could fix that later. What I didn't expect was that the next application of pastel would tear the top layer of paper, hence the "blob" on the little girl's left cheek. 

Experiment over, much learned (including the fact that her left arm is SO wrong), still excited. I've already sketched out her likeness on Strathmore's Multi-Purpose 20" x 16" board. I'm eager to see what happens.

No comments: