Monday, December 15, 2014

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU COULDN'T FAIL?

I saw a sign hanging on the door of a new office: "What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?" My first reaction was probably the same as that of a lot of other folks. Wow! The sky's the limit.

Then I thought about it--for about five seconds.

Without failure, would we ever learn anything? True, failure can be depressing and embarrassing. And if not challenged, it can lead to inertia. But like you, I learned to walk by falling down. I learned to share toys by being bopped on my noggin by the toddler from whom I grabbed that teddy bear. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of things in your life that you wouldn't have done had you not risked potential failure.

So what would I do if I knew I couldn't fail? The answer's easy: Nothing! It's the potential for failure (and the attempts to avoid it) that adds excitement to the adventure. And it's failure itself that teaches us how to succeed. Don't believe me? Google "why failure is important." You'll find over 420,000,000 results.

So let's go for it, kids! Try that new recipe; strap on those skis; take a class in (name your subject). Even if we do fall on our metaphorical keisters, we'll have learned more than if we didn't try.

No comments: