Tuesday, December 31, 2013

THOUGHTS ON STARTING ANEW...AGAIN


When I was little, there wasn’t much that excited me as much as beginnings. A new box of Crayolas, all sharp and shiny; oval pans of untouched watercolors lined up in their tin box; and joy of joys — brand new paint-by-number sets that held the potential for really fine art within those tiny oil paint filled plastic containers.

The key word there, I think, is “potential.” To this day I get a sense of exhilaration when I walk into yarn shops and art supply stores. My imagination runs amok and only a firm grip on my checkbook keeps a rein on my enthusiasm. So many possibilities! 

And isn’t that why so many of us make resolutions at this time of the year? The visualization of what could be is exciting. The challenge, of course, is to keep alive the images that stirred us in the first place. 


My solution? Glad you asked. I keep at least three projects going simultaneously: One in its genesis stage, one somewhere around half way finished, and one nearing completion. My next challenge (and maybe a new year’s resolution?) is to love that third one as much as I loved it when it was still in its infancy. But that’s a story for another blog.

No comments: