Sunday, September 2, 2012

NEW WORK...AND THOUGHTS ON PLAGIARISM

The Kiss
I received a disturbing email a few weeks ago. I've been unable to erase it from my thoughts. To paraphrase: "I love your work, I love your website. But I notice you post very few blogs. For only $79 per month, we will write your blog entries for you and publish them under your name." 

My reaction: How is this any different from  plagiarism? Paying to have someone write my entries, even though I've paid for them, is still "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own" (iMac Dictionary definition). I deleted his email but I'm still dismayed at the idea that more and more people are claiming someone else's work as their own.

This happens in the art world, too. It's so effortless to download a photo or painting, print it out, and use it without permission. As a mother, a writing teacher, and now an artist, I can't begin to describe the anger this behavior evokes in me.

Enough of the rant; thanks for listening. As for my most recent work (including the image above), I need to credit California artist Myrna Wacknov and her Creativity Journal for inspiration and instruction.

No comments: