Monday, October 20, 2008

THE GIFT GIVER




The Gift Giver
oil on canvas
by Judy Westergard
available as giclee reprint
at FineArtAmerica.com









A catalog arrived the other day in the mail. It featured a lot of modern technology in nostalgic packaging. Taking a few minutes away from my easel, I skimmed through the pages. A photo of a 1950's radio that in reality is a CD/DVD player caught my eye. It sent me back to my 12th birthday.
L
ike a lot of my friends, I knew the best gifts were to be found in the Sears Roebuck catalog. My dad knew better.
On the morning of birthday I found a
small note on the kitchen table. It directed me to
1. get dressed,
2. eat breakfast,
3. brush teeth,
4. go to the basement, where I'd find my birthday gift.
I
gnoring directions one, two and three, I raced down 15 stone stairs. I struggled with the heavy wooden door. I scooted past octopus-armed furnace.... There, on my grandma's table, was a ream of paper, a dozen yellow pencils, and a little wheel of an eraser that pivoted above its stubbly black bristle brush. Clamped to the table's edge was a hand-cranked pencil sharpener. And there, in the middle of all this potential...a shiny, black, second-hand Royal typewriter!
My dad's grin was all the go-ahead I needed. I sat my skinny little 11-year-old doopah on the wooden chair, I rolled a sheet of paper into the platen, and with two fingers I carefully typed:

Judith Ann Skovran
children's book writer
I could hardly breathe. How could he have known my deep, well-hidden wish to write stories?
That birthday was such a long time ago. I’m still in awe of the real gift my dad gave to me: the importance of looking for the gift which lies deepest in the heart of the recipient.

No comments: